Newmarket-on-Fergus Community Centre CLG is committed to meeting the needs and aspirations of our clients and stakeholders in a fair, respectful, and proportionate manner. Our approach to equality and diversity is to promote inclusiveness by recognising that anyone can make a positive difference in the achievement of the organisation’s vision and in the wider society. This policy is linked to our purpose, mission and values, and vision for the future. Strategies and action plans will be used to realise and deliver our aims. The Board of Newmarket-on-Fergus Community Centre CLG will create an environment where equal opportunity is promoted to the benefit of everyone involved in the organisation and in accordance with the terms of the Employment Equality Acts 1998-2011 and the Equality Act 2004. The principles and practices of equality will apply to all conditions of volunteering, including selection, recruitment, training and development.
- The policy applies to everyone the organisation serves, who volunteers for it, who works for it, or who provides services to it. Equality and diversity are integral to all aspects of our work.
- We will comply with best practice from legal, regulatory and inspection requirements. Codes of Practice (policies), and other guidance will be used appropriately to ensure fair and respectful delivery of our services to the community.
- Newmarket-on-Fergus Community Centre CLG will not discriminate against, bully or victimise any person or organisation on grounds of race, ethnic origin, nationality, religion, belief, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, class, appearance, or any other matter which causes a person to be treated with injustice.
- To demonstrate our commitment to equality and diversity, we will work to eliminate all forms of discrimination whether covered in law or not.
- To raise awareness, recognise and celebrate our successes, forming a platform for continuous learning and improvement.
- To have a greater and deeper understanding of our clients and stakeholders, enabling them to influence services which we provide.
- To listen to clients, volunteers, service users and stakeholders through a range of mechanisms including public meetings to assess satisfaction levels across various groups to ensure appropriate outcomes.
- To have on our board of management members that reflect the makeup of the communities we serve.
- To work in inclusive ways in developing an organisational culture that proactively promotes equality and diversity.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Anyone representing Newmarket-on-Fergus Community Centre CLG has to abide by all policies and procedures of the organisation. This ranges from volunteers (including board members), contractors, consultants and any agency staff. This list is not exhaustive.
- The Board’s leadership role will ensure the policy is successful. Members and volunteers will have individual and collective responsibility to implement the policy. Contractors, consultants and partner organisations are required to demonstrate their commitment and action to share our policy objectives on equality.
Implementation, Monitoring and Review
- The Management Team will ensure that this policy is implemented, will monitor progress on this policy and will review it annually
- Any breach of this policy, intended or accidental, is not acceptable and will be dealt with seriously at board level
- We aim to be an organisation that values, recognises and responds to the diverse needs of clients, service users and stakeholders, those we serve. We adhere to the Employment Equality Acts 1998-2011 and the Equality Act 2004 and will not discriminate against any person or organisation with particular reference to the protected characteristics laid down above at article 2C.